Celebrating 125 years of living, learning and laughing together. Do you have any stories about your time spent with Blackfriars Settlement? If so, please share them with us to help us celebrate our 125th anniversary. Send your stories to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Marketing Officer, 90-94 Great Suffolk Street, London SE1 0BE.
Whether you want to learn new skills or to have fun and make friends, we have something to suit you.
Blackfriars Settlement is a registered charity based in London SE1. We provide community services and support to everyone, no matter how old you are or where you come from.
To find out what activities we run, please download our timetable (PDF 129KB)
All of our work is guided by five aims:
- Supporting the achievement of individual aspirations
- Promoting physical and mental well-being and independence for all
- Promoting learning and development - formal and informal
- Promoting digital inclusion
- Being a focal point in the community
In the face of social change and economic uncertainty our staff, community partners, volunteers and members are working hard to enhance people's lives.
Please browse our website to find out what we can do for you.
Your donations are really important and allow us to carry on creating opportunities for the local community. Supporting us is easy. Fill in your details online at JustGiving to donate.
|LATEST NEWS AND EVENT
- Success for our fundraising efforts.
Tina Johnston our Older People's Service cordinator did a brillaint job with her volunteers to deliver another successful fundraising event and raised £1015 for the Settlement. Watch this space for many more fundaraising and fun ways to get involve with Blackfriars Settlement. You can see more pictures of the Tappas & Paella style fundraising dinner here http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnpannell/sets/72157633476439518/
- The Torbay Half Marathon route is a traffic free two lap route which starts and finishes on Paignton seafront. June 23rd 2013 will see the 22nd running of this very popular seaside event. Rachel Gaubert the mother of one of our lovely volunteer is running the Torbay Half Marathon on behalf of Blackfriars Settlement’s Mental Health and Well-Being Service. It’s a brilliant effort on her part and money raised will be used by our RISE club members for social activities. I know that we are asked to give a lot in many ways but if you or anyone you know could spare a dime or two it would be most welcome. You can donate by visiting: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RachelGaubert
- Oriel Easter chocolate donations went down a treat for the Blackfriars Settlement under 5 group’s community playrooms at the Bermondsey village hall. Visit our Facebook and see some wonderful pictures
- Sarah Crandall, one of our volunteer, ran her 1st ever race in efforts to raise funds on behalf of Blackfriars Settlement. We applaud her also thanking everyone that donated to her miles. After running 10k in under an hour she said “This is the first race I have ever done, and I think that it is really great to do it for a good reason!” you can read more and also still donate by visiting www.justgiving.com/Sarah-Crandall
26/05/1962– 26 /02/2013
- Ionela came to Blackfriars Settlement over 12 years ago as a Literacy and Numeracy trainer, but quickly added ESOL to her skills. She was totally dedicated to her job and to her students and took her work very seriously. She took every opportunity for professional development so her teaching was always fresh and embraced a wide range of learning activities often using imaginative materials she created herself.
- Her interactions with others on the team were always full of humour and good grace although her gentle demeanour belied a determination and passion and she argued her case on issues she felt very strongly about – life was never dull.
- She was a private person who did not wish to burden others with her troubles but she showed great interest in the lives of her colleagues and never failed to ask after the family and friends of workmates. Ionela will be remembered as a very kind-hearted and generous soul, who wished the best for everyone.
- We have a memory book for Ionela. Contributions can be sent to email@example.com
- Cllr Peter John attended the Settlement on 26 March to talk about issues related to affordable housing and amenities for residents living in Boroughand Bankside, a report to follow.
- We are very pleased to announce that our funding for the Community Playground has been renewed for another year. We will still be running our Monday morning activities for under 5's at Bermondsey Village Hall from 10am to 12:30pm as well as one Saturday a month. Please note that our last session for the term will be on 25 March and the club will re-open on 15 April.
- Please note that our services will be closed on 29 and 31 March due to the bank holiday.
- A group of trainee solicitors from Speechly Bircham law group will be holding a presentation on current issues and advice for our Older People's services on Thursday 21 February at 1:30pm. Please contact Tina or Sofia on 020 7928 9521 to attend.
- We will be holding a half term workshop on Homes and Safety for our Welcome to the UK learners on Tuesday 19 February, 10am-12:30pm.Please contact Laura on 020 7928 9521 to learn more.
- Lloyds TSB staff teams came for the third time on 14 January and carried out a full day of volunteering at the Settlement as part of their CSR practice. The two groups involved operated across two sites: the playspace and our headquarters